A virtual family support group is being formed by the National Alliance on Mental Illness to provide support for families with loved ones with mental health conditions, developmental disabilities and intellectual disabilities. This group will meet the second Wednesday of each month from 6:30 to 8 p.m. via Zoom beginning Jan. 13, 2021.
Sign-up is open now by emailing email@example.com.
This is a free, peer-led support group for family members, caregivers and friends of those living with mental health conditions and developmental disabilities/intellectual disabilities. Attendees gain insight from the challenges and successes of others facing similar circumstances, states a release.
The NAMI Family Support Group aims to help those involved:
- see the individual first, not the illness;
- recognize that mental illnesses are medical illnesses that may have environmental triggers;
- understand that mental illnesses are traumatic events;
- aim for better coping skills;
- find strength in sharing experiences;
- reject stigma and not tolerate discrimination;
- not judge anyone’s pain;
- forgive selves and reject guilt;
- embrace humor as healthy;
- accept that people c
- annot solve every problem; and
- work for a better future in a realistic way.