Thirty-three Girl Scouts from the Northland were recognized for earning their Silver Award during the Northland Silver and Bronze Award Ceremony March 1. It is earned by Girl Scout Cadettes who work in teams or individually to complete a project. This is the second highest award that can be earned by a Girl Scout.
Amy Rothery-Colin and Sally Allen, support managers for Girl Scouts of Northeast Kansas and Northwest Missouri, pinned each girl as their projects were described by Senior Girl Scout Samantha Leonard, the emcee.
Additionally, five Girl Scout troops from the Northland were recognized for earning their Bronze Award. The Bronze Award is the highest award that can be earned by a Junior Girl Scout troop. Michelle Gager was emcee for this portion of the ceremony.
The event included a flag ceremony by Junior Troop 116 Leaders Beth Whipple and Shayla Robinson. As Gold Award recipients, Michele Gager and Samantha Leonard, seniors at Smithville High School, presented their projects and encouraged the younger scouts to “Go for the Gold.” The Gold Award is the highest award for Girl Scouts. Alexandria Dunn, Miakah McNatt and Cheyanne Weiss sang “On My Honor.”
A reception followed the ceremony in the church fellowship hall. Silver Project displays were available for guests to enjoy and Silver Award recipients received T-shirts designed by Troop 1290 Leaders Stephanie McNatt and Michelle Easterday. Junior Scouts from Troop 116 also served as greeters, ushers and servers for the ceremony and reception.
Silver Award Recipients were:
• Troop 592 — Amirha Alawi, Kendall Carey, Kimberly Greene, Aria Santeusanio, Haylee Thompson;
• Troop 1899 — Elisabeth Fletcher, Avery McKenna;
• Troop 1997 — Meredith Bell, Bella Bloom, Clara Brackett, Claire Hines, Grace Price;
• Troop 5003 — Anna Gust, Evelyn Miller;
• Troop 969 — Andi Addison, Lyndy Daugherty, Elizabeth Hargrave, Bella Monteleone, Jaysa Saunders, Kiera Weaver-Creager;
• Troop 1290 — Carolynn Easterday, Miakah McNatt, Selena Nunez, Lily Patterson; and
• Troop 566 — Elise Cedarholm, Brisstal Colson, Janelle Edmiston, Gigi Garcia, Alaina Heyne, Lilly Johnson, Madeline Smith, Jessie Stillman, Annie Wilson.
The following troops were honored for earning the Bronze Award:
Troop 171, Troop, 25, Troop 5301, Troop 581 and Troop 1622.
Service units represented were:
• Platte County, 601;
• North Kansas City schools with Staley High School and its feeder schools, 604;
• Park Hill School District, 605;
• North Kansas City schools with Oak Park High School and its feeders, 607;
• NKC and Winnetonka high schools and their feeders, 608; and
• Liberty schools along with Excelsior Springs, Holt, Lawson and Kearney, 611.